Contrary to popular belief, New Zealand is more than its serene beauty and soothing tranquility. Queenstown has built a solid reputation of being NZ’s adventure capital. There is a lot to do in this exciting city. It could be regarded as a haven for adventure enthusiasts.
So what are the top activities thrill-seekers can take up in Queenstown, New Zealand?
1. ZORBING: Zorbing just about happens to be New Zealand’s most fun adventure sports to date! Zorbing involves rolling downhill inside a transparent plastic orb. There are many ways to go about it: you may ask to be strictly strapped into place if you’re a beginner and roll down a gentle slope, or you may forget about the straps and tumble down a steeper slope for extra kicks! Invite 2-3 friends to join you as you tumble downwards! Gold Coast in Queenstown is a fantastic and safe destination to for zorbing.
2. Canyon Swing: Book a session with “Shotover Canyon Swing” and take fifteen minutes drive outside of Queenstown. To avoid any hassle, book a car with Hertz or any good car hire service provider and arrive at the scenic spot surrounded by lofty cliffs with the Shotover River down below. You will jump 60 m in the deep canyon before the rope safely pulls you back into a 200m swing at a rate of 150 kph.
River Rafting: The Shotover River is also the spot to go river rafting! The river is suitable for experienced daredevils and novices alike. The surrounding area is picturesque. The Shotover River is wild and untamed, promising you a spectacular time as you conquer six rapids and cross the wondrous Oxenbridge Tunnel before making it to the final Cascade Rapid.
4. Bungee Jumping: Queenstown is home to the “original bungee” known as the Kawarau Bungy, as well as the Nevis Bungy and the Ledge Bungy. The first option is a jump from 43 m above the spectacular Kawarau River before being dunked halfway into the river. With 134 m above the River Nevis, it is the highest bungee jumping site in New Zealand. The Ledge Bungy is just a little out of town, providing fantastic views of the surrounding city.
5. Paragliding: The Coronet Peak Ski Field is the highest paragliding spot in Queenstown and is situated right atop the picturesque Wakatipu Basin. Book a session with Coronet Peak Tandems who have delivered around 30,000 safe and exciting experiences so far. As you jump from the designated spot, you fly and soar above farm lands, before you land in a safe area specially meant for paragliders.
6. Zipline: Take Queenstown’s finest zipline tour with Ziptrek Treehouse! Taking place at the Skyline Gondola Summit, you will watch the beauty of the Wakatipu River and the snow-capped mountain range unfurl as you zipline your way through the mountains. You can choose between beginner and high-velocity tours and can expect a perfectly safe experience with qualified guides.
Nearing the close of your adrenaline-filled trip, if you’re looking for fun but relaxing activities before you head back home, you could book a fantastic sky-gazing tour from above the Gondola with Skyline Star-gazing or go lake-fishing with Stu Dever Fishing Charters!